Fix a door that squeaks or sticks
1. Door that squeaks. When a door squeaks, the problem is with the hinges.
- Squirt a tiny amount of aerosol lubricant onto the hinge pins, and then work the door back and forth a few times.
- With rising butt hinges, lift the door off of the hinge pins, lightly smear them with grease or petroleum jelly, and then replace the door (this is a job much more easily done by two people).
2. Door that stuck. A sticking door is usually caused by a buildup of paint on one edge. The problem usually arises in damp, wet weather, when the wood of an exterior door is liable to swell.
- Rubbing the edge of the door with a candle may be enough to cure slight sticking.
- Otherwise, wait for a dry spell, then strip the paint from the door edge and frame.
- Repaint only when the door is completely dry.
- If the door sticks on the bottom edge (which they often do), you’ll need to take the door off and plane or file it with a rasp to shave a small amount off of the bottom.